Dear Deidre Brock, Gordon Munro, Iain McGill, Lorna Slater and Martin Veart. We would be delighted if you would take part in our friendly online local hustings.
We understand that as candidates for Edinburgh North and Leith you will be working all hours of the day and night in the short time left before the general election on 8 June.
But we would love to learn a little bit more about you and why you are standing for election. There has probably never been a more challenging time for our elected representatives. Many voters do not get the chance to meet their local candidates face to face, and it is often difficult to see the real person beneath the media stereotype.
The aim of this simple questionnaire is to provide an opportunity for you to share your political and personal motivations and inspirations – and for us to meet the human individual who is taking the risk of standing for election and asking for our votes.
- What are the most important issues for people in the constituency? Name, perhaps, three.
- How would you use your seat in Westminster to address local issues, using powers not held by the Scottish Parliament?
- What or who motivated you to become a politician – were you inspired by anyone in particular and if so what did you admire about them?
- Being an MP is a hugely demanding job, how do you like to unwind, relax and recharge your batteries?
- Can you share with us a quotation from a favourite poem or song?
Answers can be short and simple – or a little longer if you have time. You can post them as comments or send as a reply to our email. We will publish them here with links to your campaign pages and social media profiles.
Our five local candidates are
[in alphabetical order of first name]
PS: See below a reminder of reserved and devolved powers (see more on ScotGov website), though it’s important to remember that Scotland will be gaining new powers over welfare spending and delivery.